This floor brought a number of unique obstacles that popped up during the basement metallic epoxy process. At first glance, it appeared that asbestos black mastic was on the floor after tile stripping. But while grinding, we found the material soft and somewhat liquid compared to the hard mastic that we have seen in the past. It was gumming up our diamonds and our machines where bouncing all over the floor. It wound up being some kind of asphalt based adhesive, hoping we don’t run into that again! We tried many different diamond tooling and different machines. The other issue we found was very soft concrete, which makes diamond grinding much slower. There was also moisture in the floor, so we specified our Moisture Barrier Epoxy prime coat.

Floor Prep Mastic

 

 

VCT tile removed
soft concrete

Many small holes appeared from stone aggregate popping out, we pre patched those with DiamondKote Polymer Modified Cement. Along the process we also patched the walls and set in a new plastic sump drain. The floor prep left us with a relatively wavy floor with many open pores, lending itself to many off gassing bubbles in the finished epoxy floor. We came up with a few tricks applying the primer, and added a second layer that plugged most of the off gas pinholes. We also stepped up the mil thickness of the epoxy layers in an effort to flatten the floor. The finish product was copper metallic with cappuccino and black highlights. we created some marble veins and color blended areas with our faux techniques. The floor was a great success and should last a lifetime.

 

 

 

metallic epoxy copper black cappuccino

 

 

metallic epoxy copper black cappuccino blend
metallic epoxy gloss copper black cappuccino

 

 

Comments are closed.